Stronghold is an early-stage financial services company that’s building infrastructure for virtual payment networks and offering its customers secure, transparent ways to move money.
We are looking for a mission-driven in house Legal Counsel to build our legal strategy for a wide variety of opportunities, oversee key deals and relationships, and serve as a partner to the rest of the company. The Legal Counsel’s purview will span across product, compliance, IP, commercial and regulatory requirements.
The Legal Counsel will advise our various teams and help us understand when to take risks, how to mitigate them, and when to avoid them. You will interface with our key partners (technology providers, banks, regulators, and clients) to advise on regulatory and commercial matters. Beyond the legal function, we’re looking for a business partner who will have input across the company.
To ensure success you need to have sound knowledge and understanding of applicable laws and regulations, and the ability to make prudent legal decisions. Top candidates will be team players with outstanding advocacy and people skills with experience working in a high-growth environment.
Legal Counsel Responsibilities:
- Advising management and board on various matters such as legal rights, and new and existing laws.
- Managing the organization's legal matters.
- Examining and creating draft agreements, such as employment and commercial agreements.
- Maintaining knowledge of the organization’s operations and legal documents.
- Conducting legal research.
- Keeping up to date with the proliferation of payment innovations and evolving regulatory landscape.
- Promulgating and creating directives of corporate acts and decisions.
- Preserving all corporate records.
- Liaising with outside counsel regarding their assignments.
- Creating new entities and managing the organization's intellectual property.
Legal Counsel Requirements:
- Juris Doctor degree from accredited, top-tier law school.
- 4+ years of practice with an established law firm or as in-house counsel.
- Experience working in financial services and the ability to quickly learn the nuances of various regulated industries.
- Experience with corporate governance issues and corporate secretarial duties.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proven experience in high-growth environments, focused on achieving results quickly.